GRANOLA!

The breakfast of Tree Huggers!

My children love home made granola for breakfast,  and I have to say I do as well.   Since it was a cool, cloudy, windy day in Western Nebraska,  I decided that this Nebraska Prairie Girl would make a batch of granola. 

Nebraska Prairie Girls Granola Recipe


10 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup ground flax see
1/2 lb.  flaked coconut 
2 cups raw sunflower seed or pumpkin seeds
   or a mixture of both
1 cup sesame seeds
3 cups chopped walnut, almond or pecan
1 1/2 cup sucanut or brown sugar
1 1/2 cup water
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp pure vanilla extract
dry ingredients blended
raisins or other dried fruits, if desired.  

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  In a large bowl combine oats, flax, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and nuts.  Blend well.

syrup added to dry ingredients



In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, oil, honey,  molasses, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.  Heat until the sugar is dissolved, but do not boil.  Pour syrup over dry ingredients and stir until well-coated.  Spread into baking sheets or cookie sheets with sides. 
Ready to bake


Bake 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Bake 15 minutes longer for a crunchier texture. (I leave mine even longer, we like it really crunchy)  Cool. Add dried fruit. Store in an air tight container.  Can be stored for 6 months.   If frozen it can be stored for a 12 months.
Ready to eat my favorite part.
We eat it dry as a snack or over yogurt, but my favorite way is with goats milk poured over it.
 
My family loves fall, winter and spring, this is when I do most of my baking.   Come summer however,  I hate to turn on the oven, so not much baking takes place. 

Well time to go, it is kidding season here on the farm and I have goats to check.  


Nebraska Prairie Girl

Comments

Popular Posts