Here comes the Sun!!!!

 

I thought I would share my  journey with skin cancer in the spring of 2020.    I feel it is important to share my story in hopes that someone might benefit from the information.
 
On March 9th 2020 I went to my dermatologist in Rapid City, SD for my yearly exam. I mentioned a spot on my nose between my eyes that would come and go. The Dr. examined it closer and said, "It looks like a basal cell carcinoma. Twenty minutes later she had me set up to take a biopsy of the lesion. With in the week they called and said yes indeed it was cancer. I was scheduled for Mohs surgery March 23rd.
                                                                        Spot where biopsy was taken
 
Mohs surgery is done in stages all in one visit. The surgeon removes layers of tissue, then examines the layer under a microscope. If any cancer cells remain, the surgeon knows the exactly where they are and removes another layer of tissue from that precise location. The surgeon spares as much healthy tissue as possible. The process is repeated until no cancer cells remain. 
 
I did not make it to my March 23rd appointment because Covid-19 was starting to ramp up and travel restrictions where in place. I stupidly did not consider my surgery an emergency and opted to reschedule later in May. 
 
Not long after rescheduling my appointment I had another lesion crop up. I though it was just a zit. After a few weeks of the lesion coming and going, I realized it was acting just like the first lesion. I sent a photo of my new lesion the my Dermatologist. With 5 minutes I was told I would be scheduled to surgery Thursday morning. (this was Tuesday)
 
So to Rapid City we went....The Surgery usually takes about 2 hours from start to finish. Mine took over 4 hours. My new lesion was cancer. It took a total of 3 layers of tissue to get clean margins. I have over 40 stitches and as you  will see there is a lot of bruising and swelling associated. 
This photo was taken mid surgery as we were waiting to see if  we had clean margins from the tissue removed.  It took three more tries to get clean margins.
 
Moral to my story. If you have a spot on your face, nose, ears, neck or anywhere on your body that comes and goes. It heals and seemingly goes away then reappears has a scab or is flaky, SEE A DERMATOLOGIST. I had my original spot for several years. 
 
My cat Cricket providing some sympathy snuggles the day after surgery

                                       There is a lot of stitches under those sterile strips
 
 
 
 
 
 
Basal Cell Carcinoma is one of the most treatable cancers, when combined with Mohs Surgery the cure rate is 99%. If I had, had my first lesion looked at years ago it would not have spread so far.
Basal Cell is a very common Cancer that grows very slowly. Most often it is on the face, nose, ears and neck. Basal Cell grows in the lower layers of the skin.
 


Still a lot of healing going on under those bandages.
                      My scar looked pretty bad for sometime, so I kept the surgery                                  sight  covered when I went out in public

I still have a small scar on the bridge of my nose and my nose looks more roman than British now.  LOL
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Prevention wear sunscreen, hats ans sunglasses. I will admit I was the worst person about wearing sunscreen and hats. I always thought, "I will not be outside long it will be fine" Two or three hours later from working in the garden or with livestock.......I would come in sunburned. Then my thought was well now I will have a tan and won't have to wear sunscreen. NOT! 
 
I now wear sunscreen everyday whether or not I will be outside. My dermatologist pounded that into my head the first time I met her a year ago.

 Please learn from my mistake....wear sunscreen everyday and see your doctor if you have any recurring lesions!
 
Nebraska Prairie Girl

Comments

Popular Posts