Candy Bar

It is not a secret that I am sentimental.  I tend to attach sentiment to unusual things.  Not necessarily  impressive things or things that have much value....

For example, I have a vintage picture hanging on my wall of a family that is not even my family.    I purchased the picture at the thrift store for the beautiful frame.   It had a very ugly picture in it so I took the back off to take out the picture.   I was shocked to find a vintage photograph of a family.  Who does that?  Who gets rid of a vintage photograph of their family? I could not get rid of it, so it now hangs proudly on my wall.

Another example ..... My son Chance decided he wanted to sell his truck.  Not any truck mind you!  It was his first vehicle, his high school vehicle.  A 1966 Ford 150 truck named Michelle.  She had been sitting (the truck that is) in the barn for years.  She had been replaced by a new, more gas efficient car.  I asked him how much is was going to sell her for, with tears in my eyes.  When he told me I replied,  "Sold, I will buy her from you."  So I am now the owner of a 1966 Ford truck.  I have since gotten her back on the road and she is my fair weather driver.


 

So back to the reason for this post.  My sister Amanda, at 32 years old,  gave me for Christmas in 2016 a candy bar along with a  beautiful candle and some other items.  She apologized for not giving me anything more for Christmas.  Amanda had not been feeling well so she did what she could physically to give a Christmas present.  I told her, "  First off, you did not have to give me anything for Christmas and second. it is the thought that counts!"

As I usually do, I put the candy bar in the freezer for safe keeping.  That way it could be slowly relished over time.  (I have never been one to eat a lot of sweets at one time)  And it would keep the kids from getting into it.

Unexpectedly, my sister at 32 years of age passed away 17 days after Christmas and 10 days before her 33  birthday!!!  Months after her passing I found the candy bar at the bottom of the freezer, never opened.  I told my children, "Don't you dare touch the candy bar in the freezer that Aunt Amanda gave me!" 

                                                                                                                                                                So now what to do with the candy bar?  Eat it, save it, share it, throw it out.   By now I am sure that you realize throwing it out was not an option for me.  I thought maybe at Christmas, when everyone was around we would break it  and share it in her memory.  But, with all the hustle and bustle of  Christmas I forgot to get it out.  Since then, my littlest daughter was overwhelmed with the urge to try the candy bar.  I found it opened with a few nibbles taken out.  At first I was sad, but then I had to laugh because I know that Amanda would have laughed at Kayleigh sneaking into the candy bar.  So now my candy bar is open and has little nibbles out of it.  I suppose anyone in there right mind would throw it out by now.  Oh, but not me!

I am sure sister is up above laughing at all the stress this candy bar has given me.   But I look at it and think of her.  I think of her picking it out among all the other candy bars.  I think of the thought and the  care that she took to get it to me.  How can I throw that away?  Sure, I have the memories.  I even have a house full of things she has given to me.   Things far more expensive than a candy bar. Even so,  my sentimental self has the candy bar still tucked in the freezer.  It will remain there until someone else, probably after my own death, throws it away.

We never know in life what will be important.   Take joy in the little things,  because at the end of the day or the end of a life  it is the little things that matter.


In her precious memory,

Nebraska Prairie Girl.
Amanda       January 22, 1983-January 11, 2017






Comments

Popular Posts